Here’s our list of suggested interview questions. We suggest taking five or six of these at a time, from the various lists, and making a post out of them. We suggest you include this one at the end of each interview:
What are you working on now, and when can we expect it?
Here are the rest of the questions. Feel free to modify them or add your own.
- When did you know you wanted to write, and when did you discover that you were good at it?
- If you could sit down with one other writer, living or dead, who would you choose, and what would you ask them?
- How would you describe your writing style/genre?
- What was your first published work? Tell me a little about it.
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever done in the name of research?
- Have you ever taken a trip to research a story? Tell me about it.
- What is your writing Kryptonite?
- What do you do when you get writer’s block?
- Do you use a pseudonym? If so, why? If not, why not?
- If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
- Do you ever base your characters on real people? If so, what are the pitfalls you’ve run into doing so?
- How long do you write each day?
- Do you reward yourself for writing, or punish yourself for failing to do so? How?
- Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
- How long on average does it take you to write a book?
- What do you do if you get a brilliant idea at a bad time?
- Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre? If you write more than one, how do you balance them?
- How long have you been writing?
- Are there underrepresented groups or ideas featured if your book? If so, discuss them.
- Are you a full-time or part-time writer? How does that affect your writing?
- Are you a plotter or a pantster?
- Do your books spring to life from a character first or an idea?
- How did you deal with rejection letters?
- How long does it take you to write the first draft?
- What is the most heartfelt thing a reader has said to you?
- What tools do you feel are must-haves for writers?
- What was one of the most surprising things you’ve learned in writing your books?
- Where do you like to write?
- Tell us something we don’t know about your heroes. What makes them tick?
- What were your goals and intentions in this book, and how well do you feel you achieved them?
- What was the hardest part of writing this book?
- Who did your cover, and what was the design process like?
- Tell us one thing about them that we don’t learn from the book, the secret in their past.
- What question do you wish that someone would ask about your book, but nobody has? Write it out here, then answer it.
- What character gave you fits and fought against you? Did that character cause trouble because you weren’t listening and missed something important about them?
- What inspired you to write this particular story? What were the challenges in bringing it to life?
- What secondary character would you like to explore more? Tell me about him or her.
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- If you had the opportunity to live one year of your life over again, which year would you choose, and why?
- Tell me one thing hardly anyone knows about you.
- Tell me about a unique or quirky habit of yours.
- Were you a voracious reader as a child?
- What pets are currently on your keyboard, and what are their names? Pictures?
- What’s your writing process?
- What was the first book that made you cry?
- What other artistic pursuits (it any) do you indulge in apart from writing?
- What are some day jobs that you have held? If any of them impacted your writing, share an example.
- What do you like to read in your free time?
- Describe yourself using… ( a food, a book, a song, a movie, an animal, a drink, a place etc)
- Do you have any strange writing habits or superstitions?
- If I were a Hollywood producer about to put your book on the big screen, who would you want me to cast as the leads? Why? And can we have pictures to drool over?
- If you could create a new holiday, what would it be?
- If you were stuck on a desert island all alone with only three things, what would they be?
- What action would your name be if it were a verb?
- What fantasy realm would you choose to live in and why?
- What fictional speculative fiction character would you like to spend an evening with, and why?
- Which of your own characters would you Kill? Fuck? Marry? And why?
- Would you visit the future or the past, and why?
- How does the world end?
- Star Trek or Star Wars? Why?
- What meds are you supposed to be taking?